Greetings

My photo
Delaware, United States
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Search This Blog

Friday, February 14, 2014

Friday Freeday: Snow

When I was a child, there was nothing I loved more in Winter than waking up to 6+ inches of snow, the huge ditch behind our complex to slide down when we lived in Pennsylvania, and the ice at the bottom of said ditch. Even up to high school, I loved not having school because in Delaware one inch means we will all die if we're out on the road at the same time. I'd laugh at myself for falling (except that one time when I was 9 where I busted my entire face. My sister laughed, so I burst into tears and ran home with a scraped forehead and bloody lip.) and enjoy the snow ball fights and snow angels.

Now that I'm almost 30, I've learned snow days equal no pay days, falling HURTS, and the likelihood that I will get a sinus infection goes up with the speed of the wind gusts. The plow guys don't come until after the state offices are shut down, and you really want to go outside, but it feels like 17 degrees. As someone who also gets hot very easily, I only have 3 sweaters...Yep. I'm cold right now.

So in the spirit of winter, I also thought I would pay homage to some great "Snowy" characters.

Mary Margaret aka Snow White from Once Upon A Time This Snow packs a punch! Though she's also a bleeding heart, and though that was the reason her stepmother, Regina the Evil Queen, hates her in the first place, Snow always has the purest of intentions and just wants to live happily ever after with her (hot) Prince Charming David. If you're not watching this show, my goodness, you're missing greatness.

Jon Snow(First off, Kit Harrington, mmm). Unfortunately, Snow is the last name of bastards in the northern part of Westeros in A Song of Ice and Fire, but who doesn't love a broody, dark-haired character? It seems like the moment Jon decides to take the Black, which means he has to leave all of his past life behind him, Seven Hells break loose, and that's all he gets to hear about! I cannot WAIT for The Winds of Winter, even though I must. As one of the late great Eddard Stark's children who are alive, I need them all to find each other, though with GRRM, we don't know if that will ever happen. :(

Well, that's all I have for today. Happy Valentine's Day to those with one. Singles, enjoy your day. lol

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yeah, it's a lot more fun when you're a kid, isn't it?

Heather R. Holden said...

Wow, I can't imagine what it must be like to live with snow like that! (I've never once experienced it, so yeah, heh.)

And I completely agree with you about Snow White and Once Upon a Time. Love that show!

Anonymous said...

Heaps more!

Anonymous said...

I love looking at it, but now it's just too much! lol

I can't wait for OUAT to return! XD