Greetings

My photo
Delaware, United States
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Favorite Lines from A Song of Ice And Fire

I believe A Dance With Dragons is the most recent book from the great  George R. R. Martin. I'm only about a quarter into it, but I saw in his afterward that he said this book was three bitches and bastard. I'm loving the slow-down but also the continued foreshadowing, hopefulness, hopelessness, and suspense that is already happening!

With that said, I thought I'd take a moment to stop and pay homage to some of my favorite lines so far from this series. And awaaay we go.

"He won't be a boy forever, and Winter is coming." --Eddard "Ned" Stark (may he rest in peace) regarding his 4-year-old son Rickon.

"I am a sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the wall." --Part of the Oath of the Night's Watch

"For the night is dark and full of terrors." --Melisandre, the Red Priestess

"There are no men like me. There is only me." --Jaime Lannister

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died." --Jorah Mormont

"The things I do for love." --Jaime Lannister...right before pushing Bran Stark from a window.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow." --Ygritte the Wildling

"First lesson, stick them with the pointy end." --Jon Snow teaching Arya Stark a valuable lesson in sword fighting.

5 comments:

SC Author said...

I stated the series, but I'm not sure if I liked it.... It wasn't fantasy enough for me (I only read a bit of the first part of the first book). Should I keep going?

Anonymous said...

Um, definitely?? And the good thing about fantasy is that there are no real boundaries. It's what the author wants it to be.

Hannah said...

I haven't read the series yet. Seen the first season of the show though. Interesting stuff.

Anonymous said...

The show is mostly like the book in the 1st season. They took a few more liberties than I appreciate in the 2nd, but what can I do. lol

randi lee said...

Awesome lines. Enjoyed them :)