Greetings

My photo
Delaware, United States
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2013

Friday Freeday: The Idea Pool

Guten morgen!

So as I've said a few times, some of my stories hit me through dreams I have. My fantasy WIP was a major example of that: one scary chase with more visuals than I can ever remember having in a dream turned into a novel.

I had a short dream the night before, and if you follow me on Twitter, you know that my sister and Richard Gere were there and nothing fun happened! >:( It was a sad dream, and before I could conclude it--because I knew what my next move was going to be--I woke up. It will be a great flash fiction if I execute it correctly, but I think writing it as a play would be better, and that's because (the weird part of the dream, as there always is one) my sister and I, while we were both there, were definitely one person. I need a dream analyst for that one.

That said, I wanted to know how some of you guys come up with ideas for your WIPs. How does your muse manifest? Feel free to tell me in the comments!

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I rarely remember my dreams. Most of my inspiration comes from movies and music.

SC Author said...

I usually just come up with my ideas by coming across an idea for a relationship that could be full of promise. My ideas start from the characters :)

Heather R. Holden said...

That's so cool how some of your ideas come from dreams! My dreams tend to be too random/crazy for that to ever happen, heh. Good luck with the flash piece your latest dream inspired! You and your sister being one person sounds like such an intriguing element...

My project ideas always seem to come to me in different ways. Like, for Echo Effect, I was idly thinking about how much I love the Narcissus and Echo myth, only to suddenly get the urge to create a sorta-sequel for it. Another idea was inspired by a song. Another came about because a new character popped into my head and started narrating his life story, before even letting me know his appearance or name! Etc, etc...

Anonymous said...

There's a book of short stories based on songs. My sister read it.

Anonymous said...

That's neat. Echo Effect is great!