Greetings

My photo
Delaware, United States
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Insecure Writers' Support Group

Welcome!

Once upon a time...in a galaxy far far away...the voyages of the starship Enterprise...brought us Alex J. Cavanaugh!

If you wondered where I was going with that, it's okay, I did, too. lol

Every month, a bunch of us crazy writers get together and pour our hearts out onto this here thing we call a computer. It's my bedtime, so I'm doing it loopily.

My 10-year high school reunion is at the end of this month, and I've been watching my classmates get married and have children and all but save the world since we graduated, and I feel like Brian Griffin.



At any rate, I know now to not set goals in stone. I can at least say some interesting things like, "I'm the Music Coordinator for my Praise & Worship team," or "I'm the President-in-name-only of our Young Adult Ministry." That's better than "I'm a single 29-year-old temp barely making it every week." That's a little depressing. Blah.

So in a nutshell, this is going to be an interesting month for me, and I hope it will be for all of you!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

As a mom of teens, I appreciate people like you who volunteer with the youth! Thanks for being there for tomorrow's leaders. As for the reunion, have fun and don't let them get under your skin. Besides, you don't have to see them again for another ten years :-)

Heather R. Holden said...

Oh gosh, I know exactly how you feel. I'd hate to run into anyone I know from my past since I've basically accomplished nothing with my life. Hopefully your high school reunion goes well and isn't depressing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are making a difference for God's Kingdom and that is far more awesome!
I wasn't a published author until my mid-forties. So no stress there. Be proud of where you're at in life because it's your path and no one else.
And tell whoever saved the world they didn't do a very good job of it...

Unknown said...

I'm very impressed! As Alex says, you're making a difference! Heck, I'm 49 and haven't started a book yet. You're way ahead of me. :)

Julie Luek
A Thought Grows
Co-host IWSG October

Anonymous said...

ALEX! LOL Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Aw, you're welcome. Thank you for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! lol And, uh, hey, you have an awesome comic online, so that's something!

Anonymous said...

Aww, thanks! *hugs*

James Pailly said...

I remember when I first saw that on Family Guy. I was watching it with some friends, and I was the only one not laughing. Kinda hits a nerve... just a little bit. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Debra,
The way I see it, you're making a difference in people's lives through your activities, so chin up. Nice to meet you. Come over to the Facebook IWSG page if you haven't done so yet.

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind compassionate work with kids sets things in motion far beyond the present. Not everyone can say that. And, part-time temp is just your day job. Your real job is helping kids and writing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, no, I definitely laughed. lol I still laugh. It just hits home more now.

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks.