Greetings

My photo
Delaware, United States
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

IWSG: Third Anniversary!! & Express Yourself Weekly


Happy Third Anniversary, Insecure Writer's Support Group!!

I think I've been a member for about a year now (if it's longer, where did the time go?!), and it's been a great help. Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh-Sensei for creating this group. And in one month, it will be the 1st anniversary of the website and Facebook Group, and the team has something in store for us, so go check it out. You can also sign up to join our monthly lamentations and/or encouragements, as well as see who is co-hosting this month. I think there's a Shah, a Sheena, a Baffled Brain, and an Irish Hawaiian. ;)

So I have the yo-yo'ing wonder in mind as to whether or not my stories will ever see the light of day. I write some that I know I never really mean to publish, but what about the ones I do? I've kind of staked my whole life on getting the title "author" somewhere close to my name, and there was SO much I didn't know about writing until after I graduated college that it's taking so much longer at working towards that goal. Pray for me. lol

In the meantime, I've also been working on doing more reading, and last month was very successful. With that said, Jackie @ Bouquet of Books and Dani @ Entertaining Interests put up this month's Express Yourself questions, and this week's goes in line with my reading goals. :)


This week, they asked what we plan on reading this month.

At the moment, I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, a very good read so far. If it doesn't take me two more weeks to read it, I'll be reading two graphic novels, Flight, books 4 & 5. And because whenever I check out more than one book at the library, the book I placed on hold decides it's time to be available (crap, I need to go pick it up!), I will hopefully be reading By Blood We Live by the end of the month.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Elsie! :)

Sarah Foster said...

I think we all want that "author" title. I think I'm always going to wish that I had done more in the past, when I should really be working on getting things done in the present.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Author will happen if you just don't give up!
Like your names for the co-hosts this month. That gave me a chuckle.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Alex!

Hehe. I thought I'd be silly today. ;)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Keep going! Keep working on improving your craft, and you WILL get there.

Oh, and I hear you about the books on hold at the library. Happens to me every time.

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Jackie said...

I'm right there with you on the author title... :/ ... it'll happen. :)
I love Neil Gaiman. Great choice for books!!!

VR Barkowski said...

Loved American Gods, probably my favorite Neil Gaiman—excellent choice! It's funny, but I never wanted to be an author—just a writer. The word author never made sense to me. I don't want to auth. I want to write. :)

VR Barkowski

Heather R. Holden said...

In my mind, if you already write, then you're an author. Simple as that! ;)