Greetings

My photo
Delaware, United States
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wednesday Words: The Awakened Kingdom

Happy Hump Day. :)

Welcome back to Wednesday Words, where I use Random.org to show you all a piece the book I am currently reading.

At the end of last year, N.K. Jemisin published The Awakened Kingdom, an e-sequel to the awesome Inheritance Trilogy that became my life a few months back. This book follows a brand new godling named Shill who gets herself tangled up with mortals while trying to find out what her nature is. She's a very interesting godling, being less than 6 months old, only 1 month when the story starts. She has a thought process of someone with no attention span, which is always a hoot to read. :)

I'm about 3/5 of the way through, so let's see where Random.org takes us today.

From 1-100%, Random has chosen for me to go back to the 36% mark. (I just learned how to get to a location in an e-book! Multiply the number of locations by the percentage where you want to go.)

Counting these lines aren't as easy as I thought. I'm going to veto Random and myself and give you a few lines from the 36% mark.

His eyes narrowed. "You'd do my bidding? In exchange for...what, exactly?"

Oh, this! I inhaled. "Let me follow you around and do stuff like you do and talk to you and watch how you do things and maybe be your friend!"

The innocence of children. :)

2 comments:

Heather R. Holden said...

Cute snippet! An attention span-lacking protagonist sounds like a lot of fun, for sure... :)

Anonymous said...

I wish it were more than a novella. I want to see more of Shill.