Greetings

My photo
Delaware, United States
Deborah Hawkins, penned Debra Renée Byrd, began writing after a blank book project in elementary school and never stopped, fashioning stories based on her favorite TV shows and movies before creating more original works. She studied at the University of the Arts and Florida State University before settling down and graduating from Temple University. She now resides in her hometown of Dover, DE, where she spends most of her time at work or at church. She loves fantasies, superheroes, is a trekkie and a brown coat. She loves television and lives for Final Fantasy video games, having collected most of them. She has read a myriad of authors, and her favorite authors change whenever she finds a new book that changes her life... "When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl...well, you know the rest." -Tracey, Firefly, "The Message"

Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2015

Good Friday Freeday: Musical Edition

A Good Friday to you all!

While I'm glad for the day off, in the Christian community, this is a solemn day, marking the first day of Christ's time in the tomb--I'm going to start calling it that.

It didn't occur to me until it was announced at my church, but we didn't have an Easter play this year because a lack of interest. Honestly, our plays are kinda blah, and our church's median age is probably 60, so that's understandable. I actually had an idea for one this year, though! Maybe I'll develop it for next year.

What it was was a musical about Jesus to many of the songs on the Christian radio stations I usually listen to. Hillsong and Kari Jobe have some great songs out right now, so I just thought I'd post my imagined set list for this play. For those who acknowledge today, and even those who don't, I hope it ministers to you. :)

Hillsong - Desert Song
Matthew 4:1-11 (Satan tries to tempt Jesus in the wilderness)


Hillsong - Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
Matthew 14:25-29 (Jesus walks on water, and Peter comes to walk with him)



Kari Jobe - The More I Seek You
Luke 10:38-42 (Jesus visits Martha and her sister Mary)


Israel Houghton - Hosanna
Matthew 21:9 (The crowd meets Jesus as he comes to Jerusalem)


Kari Jobe - Forever
Matthew 27:45 - 28:10 (His Death through His Resurrection)


7 comments:

Diana Wilder said...

What a wonderful idea for Easter! I do hope you develop it: the songs are really good. Today, for me, is a time for quiet reflection leading to the Sunrise Service on Sunday (and this year, I have told myself, I will bring a BLANKET!) I hope your Easter is blessed, and I'm looking forward to enjoying those songs tonight at hime.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You should develop that play for next year.
It may not seem like 'Good' Friday, but considering what happened afterwards, it really is a great day.
Have a Blessed Easter!

betty said...

I think it would be neat if you did develop your ideas into a play for your church. I liked your ideas that you shared here. Oceans and the Desert Song; two of my favorites. Of course so much talent at Hillsong. We have to have Good Friday in order to have the victory of Easter Sunday; I'm thankful Jesus was willing to go through it all for me :)

betty

Heather R. Holden said...

That's what Good Friday is? I had no idea! (Can you tell I've never been Christian? LOL.) Now I won't feel stupid if anyone ever brings it up... XD

Anonymous said...

You're very interesting, Heather. lol

Fundy Blue said...

I think you should write your play, Debra! Thanks for introducing me to this lovely music! I hope you had a meaningful Easter!

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks for sharing these. Love me some Isreal Haughton.
This year, our teenagers re-enacted the Stations of the Cross in the community near our church.